Telecom Designs Client Case Studies

This project was divided into three phases.

Phase 1 – Completed an extensive survey. This involved toning and tagging all of the telephone cables and dial tone in the building. Completed a report of what cabling was required in each store to accommodate the new telephone system.

Phase 2 – Re-cabled the store to get it ready for cutover night.

Phase 3 – Installed the new Nortel BCM in the middle of the night and cut the system over to a T-1 from analog lines. Detailed and installed all the telephones and connected the new system to the paging system.

During this project, we developed a product called the BCM rack kit, to streamline installations and assure quality control at each installation. The kit had approximately 500 individual parts that were all pre-assembled in our staging area. Once onsite, the kit could be installed in the voice rack in less than 30 minutes, which greatly reduced installation costs and guaranteed uniform product installation across the entire chain.

This project involved doing a CO line survey for all dial tone at each site. It also involved reallocating CO port assignments and reprogramming each telephone system.

Telecom Designs was tasked with installing three different types of cabling to accommodate a new media server system. We installed coaxial cable, Cat 5 cables, low voltage audio cables and electronic devices to support the implementation of this new device.

During this project we developed a media server kit. This kit contained over 100 items that were all pre assembled and labeled to reduce installation time and assure a uniform product at each store.

This project required Telecom Designs to install 25 pair feed cables between the MPOE, computer room, and the telephone system. These cables were terminated on custom termination blocks, designed specifically for this project. We also had to run several data cables and audio cables to the Pharmacy to support printers, speakers, and other devices.

We were required to run several new cables into the Pharmacy during business hours without disrupting Pharmacy operations. Programming changes were required for each telephone system to accommodate the new IVR system.

Again, we built an IVR kit for this project and preassembled all of the specialty parts in our staging area. This reduced installation costs and provided a uniform consistent product to the customer.

Telecom Designs was tasked with installing several thousand Aruba access points in the stores using a heat map. This involved pulling in new cables for each of the access points. In cable runs beyond 100m, we were required to install an inline data repeater to extend the range of the cable. This project was not large, but what made it significant was the extremely short timeframe involved. We completed the project 8 days ahead of schedule.

Telecom Designs’ technicians identified the new circuit at the MPOE and ran new cabling to extend it into the computer room. We connected the new circuit to the Cisco switch and tested for proper connectivity.

This project involved installing a new 19’ voice rack in each location. In addition, we ran a 50 pair feed cable in the store that was terminated on patch panels and M66 blocks. We also ran Cat 5 cables from the MPOE to the computer room and data cables to the EMS (Energy Management System).

Telecom Designs acted as the customer’s representative and ordered the DSL lines from the various service providers for this project. After the DSL modem was installed, we tested the VPN connection to the corporate office and then we cut over the POS system to the DSL. This required reprogramming new parameters and IP addresses into each POS terminal.

This project was extremely challenging for two reasons.

  1. The retailer is located in malls or large shopping centers. The dial tone provider often did not extend the DSL circuit into the customer suite. The MPOE was not in their suite and finding the MPOE to extend the DSL lines was challenging in buildings that had multiple locked MPOE rooms serving a large mall.
  2. The customer had us utilize 15 different service providers for the DSL circuits. Each provider had their own brand of DSL modem and they all required different parameters to be programmed into the modems onsite. We documented how to log onto each modem and then reprogrammed them to work over the customers VPN tunnel.

This project involved extending a line from the MPOE and connecting it to the IVR server. Then, we activated the fax feature on the server and tested it for proper operations.

Designing and Building Kits for Projects

Our case studies mention several times that we have designed and built a kit for a particular project. We design project kits to achieve three major goals:

  1. Reduce Costs: We can assemble and test all the parts in our staging area, making an easy to install kit for the installer at the job site, with all the required parts. This means there is less onsite time building out the project, which reduces costs.
  2. Eliminate Errors: The kits eliminate the possibility of errors in the field, since everything is already preassembled and tested in advance.
  3. Provide Consistent Results: These kits ensure that the exact parts specified are used at every installation, and that every installation looks exactly the same. Consistent appearance and labeling are very important. It is extremely helpful to the customer’s help desk if everything is labeled and installed the same way at every store.

In summary, our kits take much of the onsite technician’s decision-making out of the equation while reducing costs, eliminating errors and providing consistent results every time.

Contact us today to see how Telecom Designs can save your company time and cost in complex cabling and network technology projects.